Draft Happy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request for HELP

2 posters

Go down

Request for HELP Empty Request for HELP

Post  Jason L. Wright Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:25 pm

So, il start with the effect and end with the cause.

Effect, i wont be able to participate in iracing until i figure out how to fix this

Cause: After installing my new 4GB RAM, my computer was performing very nicely. I then spent time installing my Cooler Master 212 Plus. All seemed well, or so i thought. I managed to mount the Cooler and once finished re-attached all the wires (or so i believe i did) back into their places. Finally, with my fingers crossed it was time to press the power button.All the fans/lights came on as expected. Concerning the Case and hardware inside, all seemed perfect, though none of my monitors would turn on.. (of course the power was on, but no display was available).Then i remembered how COMPLETELY absurd my Case is. The Cooler Fit, but barely. It engulfed my poor mini pci/Mother board. I had a terrible time re-mounting my motherboard and at doing so had the GFX card slightly fall out of its mount several times. I was afraid this caused the connectors on the GFX card to be damaged (Im just not sure how all of that works or how sensitive that is). Seeing as how my displays are connected through the GFX card, and yet everything else seems *sounds/looks* to be ok, it just lead me to blame my GFX card. Lastly, i decided to plug a USB cable *my wheel/keyboard* into either the FRONT or BACK USB port(s) and at doing so, i found they would only receive enough power to blink their lights instantly upon connecting then no power at all. Thats when i decided to check/reconnect my power cords. Figured i may have mis-connected something, though to no avail. Im contemplating starting all over, taking everything back out again and putting it all back in again so if anyone has any advice or can surely tell me "dude, your motherboard is F'd!" id really appreciate it.

ps) i think it may be possible the weight of the COOLER and the crappy mounting my case supplies is causing bad connections do to bad angles, though.. im more leaning toward either my GFX card or my MOTHERBOARD being ruined. In any event, il be back iRacing asap.

Jason L. Wright
Admin

https://drafthappy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Request for HELP Empty Re: Request for HELP

Post  Mitchell Lancaster Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:28 am

thats crappy, do you have another computer you can use to test the GFX card? have you see any visable damage on your card or mobo? Does your mobo have a second PCI-E port you can try plugging the GFX card into?

Mitchell Lancaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason L. Wright Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:07 am

Infa is a buddy of mine, i call him Prod *prodigy* because hes smart as hell and only about 16, but, this sums everything up lol

infamous: Sounds like your power supply can't handle the gfx card, honestly.
Snapflash: Smile wrong Very Happy
Snapflash: Thats what i was thinking
Snapflash: earlier though
Snapflash: but, bob told me my 650 was plenty
Snapflash: Ok, so.. That was me about 40min ago
Snapflash: then i did some series brain storming
Snapflash: When i took off my original Heatsink
Snapflash: the Chip came off with it
Snapflash: I thought that was a bad sign..
Snapflash: Well, of course i had never done what i was doing before, so, was all trial and error
Snapflash: I put the chip back on, *but didnt secure it right* it ended up pushing iteslf down to where it was supposed to be, and at seeing that.. how it just kinda .. did it unexpectedly.. i assumed that wasnt right either
Snapflash: but.. i kept going, and finished installing
Snapflash: Then, all the problems
Snapflash: Well, bob told me he didnt have time to help out today but, he was sure it was fixable
Snapflash: His attitude sounded really confident, so i just siad the hell with it
Snapflash: i took every dam peice out of my case
Snapflash: d/c'd every wire
Snapflash: and started from scratch
Snapflash: I realized this little.. bar under the chip
Snapflash: and remembered watching a youtube vid of what it was for
Snapflash: So, what was my problem?

infamous: No idea.
Snapflash: I needed to lift it up, drop in the chip, and close the bar, secured the chip the right way
infamous: Jesus.
Snapflash: Basically.. the processor chip wasnt secured right, so, wasnt working right
Snapflash: i guess if the brains arnt connected.. rest of the body dont know how to work
Snapflash: made sense to me lol
Snapflash: But dude.. after i did that.. i had to put everything back together.
Snapflash: 1st time iv ever done this..

infamous: I'm impressed.
Snapflash: And my comp is so much faster with 4gb ram
infamous: And processors... yeah. They're fickle.
Snapflash: But, you can imagine how frustrated i was
Snapflash: everything was working perfectly, except for the usb ports and no display
Snapflash: Although, i am still having 1 problem
Snapflash: The cpu fan port on the Mobo wont work now
Snapflash: i think i might have just shorted out the fan by accident
Snapflash: so, i took one of my side 120mm fans and put it on the 212plus
Snapflash: i just want it to be more powerful.
Snapflash: Any idea how i speed up my case fans?

infamous: No.
infamous: B/c you don't do that.

Snapflash: oh
Snapflash: guess only way would be to add more voltage to them

Jason L. Wright
Admin

https://drafthappy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitchell Lancaster Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 am

he might be super smart but yes there is a way to speed up the fans if they are plugged into your mobo Smile
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Mitchell Lancaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum